Hello, I'm Gemma
I am a humanistic, Trauma Informed counsellor and Accredited member of the British Association for counselling and psychotherapy (MBACP) Accred.
I understand that there are times when life can feel overwhelming and daily life can become more of a struggle. This can often feel isolating and confusing, but it is important to know that you don’t have to go through it alone.
My aim is to provide a warm, welcoming and supportive environment in which you feel able to explore your feelings and emotions without fear of judgement.
I am able to help with many of life’s challenges and also have specialist experience of working with survivors of rape, sexual abuse and sexual violence.
I understand that it can sometimes be difficult to talk about experiences that have be hidden for a long period of time. Therefore, my focus is always on providing a safe, accepting space for you to explore these difficult experiences.
I understand the gravity and rippling affect violence and sexual abuse can have on ones life but also that there is hope, strength and empowerment that can be found within oneself with the help of counselling.
As a trauma informed practitioner, I also offer psychoeducation to help clients understand the physiological and emotional impact of trauma on the body. Offering tools and techniques to help promote healing whilst preventing further harm.
My approach is sensitive and supportive placing emphasis on building a safe and trusting therapeutic relationship. Always working at a pace that is led by you.
Professional Membership & Ethics
I am an Accredited member of the British Association for counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP) Accred and abide by their ethical framework.
I am fully insured and have on-going supervision as required by the BACP.
I am also a Bupa recognised therapist (Provider number 30048600).
My training and approach means that I am able to help with most of life’s problems, including:
- Relationship issues
- Trauma and abuse
- Low self-confidence and self-esteem
- Stresses at work
- Suicidal thoughts
I also have specialist training and experience in working with:
- Survivors of Rape
- Sexual abuse
- Sexual violence
- Adults who have experienced abuse in childhood
- Multiple experiences of abuse
- Borderline Personality disorder (BPD) / Emotionally Unstable Personality disorder (EUPD)
- Complex PTSD
- Dip. Therapeutic Counselling
- HNDip. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- PGCert. Trauma Informed Practice
Relevant additional training
- Working with shame – PODS
- Child sexual abuse: Hope for healing
- Working creatively
- Dealing with distress: Working with suicide and self-harm
- Dissociation and DID – PODS
- Becoming safely embodied: Essential trauma treatment – Deirdre Fay
- Working with relational trauma: Dealing with disorganised attachment – PODS
- Significance of attachment in treatment of personality disorders – Dr Daniel J Fox
- Working with trauma triggers and flashbacks – PODS
- Healing trauma – Janina Fisher
- Trauma and the body: Dissociation and Somatisation